Plaster of Paris is an affordable craft material, which is safe to be used for kids crafts with adult supervision.
As the darker nights draw in and the rainy days become more frequent, it can be a struggle to keep the kids occupied and stimulated.
And, now that Christmas is coming round quickly, this is a great time for getting the kids involved in the Xmas preparations. Most kids do really enjoy making their own decorations.
This plaster of paris snowman Christmas decoration is an easy one for your kids to make.
Materials you’ll need:
- Plaster of Paris (p.o.p.)
- Water (measure as per p.o.p. instructions)
- Bowl for mixing
- Spatula or old spooon for mixing
- Snowman cake or jelly mould
- Fabric/Acrylic or poster paints and brushes
How To Make a Plaster of Paris Snowman Christmas Decoration
Read the plaster of paris mixing instructions for actual quantities of p.o.p to water ratios.
- Place the water in your mixing bowl first
- Gradually add the measure of plaster of paris, being careful not to create dust
Supervision Required: (health warning: do not breath in any dust) If your kids are very young, you may prefer to do this part for them!
- Mix until any lumps gone & mixture smooth
Once your plaster of paris mixture is smooth, have your snowman mould ready for the next step.
Now it’s time to slowly pour your plaster of paris mixture into your mould.
- Pour slowly so you don’t create any air bubbles.
- Keep pouring until your mold is full
If you see air bubbles: tap you mould lightly, and they will disappear.
Leave your filled mould to one side while the plaster of paris dries/sets.
- You can tell that the plaster of paris has set, as you’ll see that it has shrunk away from the sides slightly.
Once it has dried, you can tip your plaster of paris snowman out of your mould.
Your snowman is, once thoroughly dry, now ready to decorate.
Choose your preferred paints and colours to suit your Christmas theme.
Or simply let your kids use their own creative imagination for painting their own snowman.
They can get creative painting stripes or patterns on his scarf and hat… anything goes!
Continue painting until you are happy with your decoration.
Plaster of Paris is porous and will absorb water. You can seal your snowman Christmas ornament with a light spray of of varnish if you wish. Please follow instructions and spray outdoors or in well ventilated room, protecting any surfaces.
Kids Crafts Tutorial by Lalita Soloman
Lalita Solomon has worked for 25 years as art and craft teacher.
Her varied crafts include :
Painting, clay crafting, glass painting, Card making, Plate painting, Bread dough craft, Hand crafted beads, and table top fountain making.